- Write the stories you want to read. Chances are, if you want to read them, someone else does, too.
- Ignore all the "rules" and make your own. And after you've made your own, break those ones, too.
- Be your number one fan. Love your work, rejoice in your creation, and be proud of your accomplishments no matter where they take you.
- Refuel your creative juices. Watch movies, read books, colour, create art, go to the gym... whatever it takes to keep your mojo running at top speed.
- Let yourself daydream... or nightdream... or take a nap. It's no mystery that plot holes and character revelations happen in the few second before sleep starts. Embrace the power nap!
- Dance in the rain. If dancing isn't your thing, go for a run, jump in some puddles, let your inner child shine through, s/he probably has a lot to say.
- Eat chocolate. I'm not joking. The brain needs sugar to function at full capacity. A writer's brain needs triple what the average person needs.
- Stop posting cat pictures. Get a dog instead. They're less distracting, but loyal companions (and they love walks in the rain, naps, and showering you with love).
- Read. Or don't read. Honestly, it's your choice, as is what you choose to read.
- Buy my books! Sorry - that wasn't supposed to be there, but I didn't have a #10, and I needed to put something, otherwise a list of nine feels incomplete.
And that's it. Easy. Foolproof. And fun.
Feel free to add to the list in the comments...
Post a Comment